It’s important to look after your Cork floor to keep it in the best condition. We’ve put together a few expert tips that will help you avoid problems before they arise.
How you can protect your Cork flooring
- Stop the dirt before it reaches the floor by placing interior and exterior doormats at all entrances. They should be designed to allow grit/dirt and moisture to be removed.
- Place rugs at areas where the wear is greater, such as in front of kitchen sinks, at the end of steps and within high traffic pathways. The rugs must be of breathable material to prevent moisture entrapment.
- Remove spills promptly.
- Use protective pads or caps under furniture.
- Keep animal nails trimmed to minimize scratches.
What you must avoid doing to your Cork flooring
- Don’t let sand, dirt or grit build up. They can act like sandpaper, abrading or dulling your floor finish.
- Don’t wet mop your floors. Too much water can cause the floor to swell or warp.
- Heavy objects should not be dragged across the floor. Ensure they are lifted. If the object can’t be lifted, try placing a blanket and a solid panel underneath it then gently lift/pull it across the surface. Ensure the surface is free from grit.
- Avoid walking on your floor in high heels and keep your heels in good repair.
- Never use any of the following products (or similar) on your finished floor: ammonia-based cleaners, acrylic finishes, wax-based products, bleach, oil soap, abrasive cleaning soaps or acidic materials such as vinegar. Many of these products can dull or etch the finish.
Keeping your Cork floor clean
Ensure your flooring is regularly cleaned by using ‘dry’ cleaning methods, such as sweeping or vacuuming. Anything that cannot be removed by mop or vacuum should be removed by using an appropriate PH-neutral cleaner.
Occasionally, the entire floor will require being damp-mopped. Use any cleaning solution sparingly as the amount of water used on the floor must be kept to a minimum. Only mist the floor lightly with the cleaning solution or spray the cleaner directly onto the cleaning pad.